Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Blog Update: Putting 2016 to Rest




No matter how you slice it, 2016 has been one tumultuous stinker of a year, with the loss of so many beloved public figures and continued political upheaval. As much as I’d like to think that everything will be okay when the ball drops in Times Square and the year officially comes to a close, experience and cynicism suggest otherwise. I can’t shake the feeling it’s all merely a dress rehearsal for 2017.

From a personal standpoint, my 83-year-old mom became ill over the past several weeks. We still don’t have a definitive diagnosis or prognosis, so in the absence of facts, all we can do is hope for the best. I remain in constant contact, however, and look forward to seeing her soon. On a happier note, my family and I will be returning in late February back to the Pacific Northwest. After many months of soul searching and deliberation, we concluded that 11 years in Texas is enough. None of us could have anticipated we’d be here as long as we’ve been, but I’m grateful for the terrific things that have occurred here, including meeting some good friends, earning my master’s degree, finding a career in higher education and founding my blog. In unrelated news (Shameless Plug Alert), my wife also published her first novel in 2016, which you can purchase here. One painful lesson 2016 has taught us is that life is far too short to live in regret, so we’re following our dreams and convictions.

Despite all of life’s ups and downs, this blog continues to keep chugging along. Some 2016 highlights have been the Nature’s Fury Blogathon, participating in several other blogathons, various theme months, and a guest post on the amazing blog Rupert Pupkin Speaks. So what does 2017 have in store? Due to the aforementioned uncertainties, some posts may be delayed or will have to be shifted around, but I’ll do my best to post regularly. I also hope to get back on track with my book project, a companion to Cinematic Catharsis. Some blog previews for 2017:

  • Japan-uary VI returns with a fresh crop of films, featuring something for everyone (maybe).
  • Nothing is officially scheduled for February and March, due to the move.
  • April, May and June will feature new theme months, to be announced soon.
  • In July, I’ll unveil my latest experiment, which is absolutely, definitely not, I repeat, not a blogathon, but something new (new to me, at least). It will be a month-long event, and everyone’s invited to participate. But I’ve already said too much. More on this in the months ahead.
  • Silent September and Noir-vember will also return.

Here’s wishing everyone all the best in 2017. With good health, a little bit of luck and a lot of determination, I sincerely hope we’ll all be here to celebrate 2018. Thanks to everyone who reads this blog, as well as my Twitter pals who help promote this site. I can’t possibly express how much I appreciate your support. As always, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment