Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog Update: Farewell Japan-uary III, Hello Monster March





I’ve said it before, and I’m sure it won’t be the last time (sorry, dear readers).  I’m dragging my feet again, instead of exploring cinema’s obscure and darkest regions.  It’s tough coming down from the high of a theme month.  Now that the dust has settled, and I’ve made my way through Kübler-Ross’ stages of grief, I’ve accepted that Japan-uary III has come and gone.  Along with the cruel reality of February, comes the promise of more eclectic explorations of  cinema just around the corner, with Germany Month in June, Silent September II, Horror Month, and... you guessed it, Japan-uary IV next year.   

So what’s next, you might ask (Well, I might at least)?  As much as I’d like to take credit for the idea, my next theme month, Monster March, was suggested by my 9-year-old daughter.  She’s not into scary flicks like her dad, but we find a common ground with classic creature features, particularly from the 30s and 50s.*  While I can’t promise that all of the title choices will be daughter friendly, Monster March will focus on the creepy-crawlies, the misunderstood creatures and the aberrations of nature that form the basis of a good monster movie.

* She enjoys The Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I know I did something right. 

As always, stay tuned for more updates.  If you have ideas you’d like to share, just want to vent, or have an upcoming blogathon, don’t keep it inside.  Comments, emails, and tweets are encouraged and appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you raising a little horror fan! I hope my baby Gunnar (a year on March 1) shares my love of the horror flicks. He seems to tolerate them well at this point. I wanted to dress him as a little Frankenstein for his first Halloween, but Momma over-ruled me. He was a cute little monkey. I tried to at least get Momma to dress like the Empire State Building so he'd look like King Kong scaling her when she held him, but no dice. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... All of those Halloween ideas sound great to me. Next Halloween, perhaps?

      Happy 1st b-day to your little one! :)

      Delete