“Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future…” – Criswell (Plan 9 from Outer Space)
Oh, the future… What secrets lie in store for us? Will we eventually reach a utopian paradise, or will it be a dystopian nightmare? Since the dawn of movies, conjecture about what kind of world our descendants will inherit has long fascinated filmmakers. With this in mind, Gill Jacob of RealweegiemidgetReviews and Yours Truly, are excited to present a new blogathon for the 21st century, the Futurethon. It’s a three-day exploration of what might be (or what never was).
If a significant portion of the movie or TV show takes place in the future, it’s fair game… let your imagination run wild. Not sure what to write? Here are some suggested topics to get your creative juices flowing:
· What movies about the future got right – and especially, what they got wrong.
· Post-Apocalyptic Films (the Mad Max series, Waterworld, A Boy and His Dog)
· Retro Future (Things to Come, The Jetsons, Metropolis)
· Comedies (Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Idiocracy)
· Time Travel (The Time Machine, Back to the Future II)
· Hopeful Futures (Star Trek, Forbidden Planet)
· Bleak Futures (Cowboy Bebop, Blade Runner, The 10th Victim, Gattaca)
As we’ve mentioned in the past, don’t let the “blog” in blogathon scare you. We will happily accept submissions from your podcast, YouTube channel, Facebook/Instagram post, or interpretive dance performance. Let your imagination soar! Still unsure about a topic? Don’t be afraid to reach out and bounce your idea off us. More likely than not, we’ll say, “Go for it.”
What: The Futurethon
Who: Hosted by Gill Jacob and Yours Truly (Barry P.)
Where: Realweegiemidget Reviews and Cinematic Catharsis
When: April 28-30, 2023
How: Please read the rules below, and send us your post request (review, podcast, etc…) via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Twitter (@barry_cinematic), or by commenting below. You may contact Gill by commenting on her post, or through her blog’s Contact Me page (Be sure to include your preferred name, along with your blog’s title). Please Note: Since Gill and I will be taking our respective vacations (Or “On holiday” to those from across the pond) in February and March, respectively, plus the fact that we reside in completely different time zones, we humbly suggest that you send all post requests to both blog hosts – Don’t miss out on the chance to stake your claim.
Here are the rules…
1. You may review any films or TV shows set in the future (in whole or part).
2. Due to the vast number of potential subjects for this blogathon, ABSOLUTELY NO DUPLICATE TITLES WILL BE ACCEPTED, unless it’s part of a career retrospective, or a series of films or shows.
3. Choices are first-come, first served. Consider sending us your top two choices, just in case your first choice has been claimed.
4. Claim your blogathon topic by entering a comment on this page and/or through the methods listed above (see note).
5. Add your Twitter username (if you have one) so we can promote your post.
6. A full list of blogs and review choices will be posted on a separate page, and updated regularly.
7. Only original, never-before-published posts will be accepted.
8. Send a link of your finished post to Gill or me on one of the days of the blogathon.
9. Note: We will be publishing all links on both blogs, each day of the blogathon.
10. Please also note: Gill and I have already claimed the following titles below:
Barry at Cinematic Catharsis – Logan’s Run (1976)
Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews – Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Pilot) (1979)
One more thing...
If you plan to participate, or just want to show your support, please grab one of the following banners to display on your blog:
We can’t wait to see your submissions. Have fun, and we’ll see you in the future!