Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Talented Mr. Ripper

 

Mipps - Captain Clegg

“…I never thought about how I could play the character, I just played it. I also never based my characters on anyone. I’m not one of those people who sits on a bus and says, ‘I’ll play it like him.’ I play them more like me. In acting, as in life, it’s no good trying to be like someone else. It’s a waste of time. You should create your own style. There is definitely no method to my acting.” – Michael Ripper (from Michael Ripper Unmasked, by Derek Pykett) 

“Michael, to me and to many others, represented all that is best in our profession in his many varied and memorable performances. Dedication, total involvement and complete professionalism: qualities not all that evident today.” – Christopher Lee (excerpted from his forward to Michael Ripper Unmasked)

Sergeant Swift - Plague of the Zombies

I’m honored to participate in Brian Schuck’s (from Films Beyond the Time Barrier) first-ever blogathon, the “Favorite Stars in B Movies” Blogathon. Be sure to check out all of the great entries! For me, this event presented the perfect opportunity to shine the spotlight on one of Hammer Films’ most versatile and ubiquitous, yet often overlooked, performers.

 

Old Soak - The Curse of the Werewolf

Pop quiz: Which of the following actors appeared in more Hammer films than anyone else: A) Christopher Lee B) Peter Cushing, or C) Barbara Shelley? Okay, it’s a trick question, because the correct answer should be D) None of the above, or more accurately, Michael Ripper. Ripper was what would commonly be referred to as a “character actor,” but that nomenclature doesn’t quite fit – an “all-purpose actor” would be more accurate.  If you needed a coachman, constable, a barkeep, or cheeky sidekick, he was your man. No role was too small or insignificant for the veteran performer, who always managed to make an indelible impression.

1st Card Player - Moon Zero Two

Although Michael Ripper never quite became a household name, he was the “Where’s Waldo” of British actors. Even if his name in the credits didn’t ring a bell, you couldn’t forget his almost cherubic appearance, ruddy complexion, and a devilish gleam in his eyes (suggesting he knew more than he was leading on). With 246 acting credits and a career spanning seven decades, you’d be hard-pressed not to have seen him in something. While those numbers are certainly impressive by any metric, he’s probably best remembered for his 33 appearances in Hammer films in a wide range of genres. His 24-year stint with Hammer began with the 1948 noir The Dark Road (aka: There is No Escape), and ended with the comedy That’s Your Funeral (1972).  

Poacher - The Mummy

Born in Portsmouth, in 1913, Ripper would continue to live and work in England throughout his life (except for a brief sojourn in Ireland, to work in the theater). He was a quintessentially British actor, with no plans to cross the pond to Hollywood. Although he enjoyed his work on the stage (including playing Hamlet in 1943), his theater career was cut short, due to throat surgery in 1952. In his later, post-Hammer years, he turned mostly to television (although he preferred film). He continued to work until the mid-1990s, when declining health forced him to retire, but not before leaving behind an impressive resume.   

Mack - The Pirates of Blood River

Ripper excelled at taking a role that lesser actors would sleepwalk through, and turning it into something special. Two notable 1962 Hammer roles (which coincidentally involve pirates) exemplify his innate ability to make the most of his characters. In The Pirates of Blood River, the 5’6” actor managed to steal the scenes from 6’5” Christopher Lee (no small feat) as Captain LaRoche’s duplicitous sidekick, Mack. In a moment of indiscretion, he openly mocks his superior (you just know it’s not going to end well for him), while in another scene, he turns the tables on LaRoche. He went on to portray a completely different kind of pirate sidekick in his next film, opposite Peter Cushing, in Captain Clegg (aka: Night Creatures). In one of his more substantial Hammer roles, Ripper plays Clegg’s ever-loyal companion, ex-pirate turned coffin-maker Jeremiah Mipps, who enjoys pulling the wool over stuffy Captain Collier’s (Patrick Allen) eyes. Ripper displays considerable range in the film, carrying some of the film’s lighter scenes, as well as its most touching (taking an old friend to his final resting place).

Tom Bailey - The Reptile

Michael Ripper took his craft seriously, managing to add a touch of pathos and humor to many of his characters. Despite the relatively short screen time of the majority of his roles, he always enhanced them, adding a little something extra, whether it was a moment of levity to a tense scene, an inflection, or a surprising facial expression. Ripper was a   ubiquitous presence in British cinema, who managed to never outstay his welcome. It’s always a treat to spot him in an old or new (to me) film. Next time you’re watching a Hammer movie or another British production from decades past, don’t be too surprised if Mr. Ripper pops up (Look for him, it’s fun!), and raise your glass to one of the unheralded greats. 

 

Sources for this article: Michael Ripper Unmasked, by Derek Pykett; The Hammer Story, by Marcus Hearn & Alan Barnes

 

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Gill. Now, I'm sure you'll see him everywhere! ;)

      Delete
    2. Now that you've seen him, you'll never unsee him!

      Delete
  2. A short but sweet tribute, Berry!
    I confess the name Michael ripper meant nothing to me, but I'm sure I've seen him in one of his roles. Probably not his pirate roles though. I will have to pay attention the next time I watch a hammer film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, John! You can't miss him. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a great post - he was always worth watching, especially in bad films lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ripper. Perfect name for a star of Hammer horror.

    I’ve only seen a tiny handful of Hammer flicks, but if he’s as ubiquitous as you say, I’ve probably seen him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he was a fixture in Hammer films. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I think for most people Michael Ripper definitely comes under the heading of, "I know the face, but I don't recognize his name." Of course, I am sure our fellow Hammer fans recognize his name! He was so brilliant and I am always happy to see him in a film or TV show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! He's sort of the British counterpart to Dick Miller. Always a welcome presence.

      Delete
  6. The ubiquitous Mister Ripper is just wonderful in everything I've seen him in. Most notably as the bartender Tom Bailey in The Reptile. He literally out-acted the lead (Ray Barrett) in every scene they shared. Since seeing that, I deliberately started searching for his performances, and he never fails to entertain. Nice article, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Your comments remind me that I'm long overdue for a rewatch of The Reptile.

      Delete
  7. This is certainly a name I recognize, but like others who have commented, I wasn't able to identify him with any specific role. After checking his filmography, I realize how many of his films I've seen. It's nice to see a dedicated, journeyman actor getting showcased in an article like this. Thank you for giving this gentleman the credit he deserves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by (and for the kind comments). I think Ripper is often overlooked because of the sheer volume of roles, and his relatively short screen time, but as you said, he was a dedicated journeyman actor.

      Delete
  8. Um *looks around, whispers* I'm not at all familiar with the Talented Mr. Ripper, BUT! I just looked him up on IMDb, and – just like you said – he's had an incredibly varied career. I'll be delving into his filmography, so thanks in advance, Barry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Once you see him, you can't miss him. Although he was a fixture at Hammer, he did much, much more... Have fun! ;)

      Delete
  9. Barry, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful tribute to Michael Ripper - love that title! Michael is one of a handful of actors who automatically brings a smile to my face when I see him. His role as Mipps in Captain Clegg is indeed a standout in his resume - he is both impish and very canny. He had another substantial role in The Mummy's Shroud (1967), playing the harried assistant to the chief archaeologist. Shroud is perhaps the least well-known and liked of Hammer's mummy series, but Ripper's character is quite sympathetic and he steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brian! And thanks for hosting a truly exceptional blogathon (hopefully the first of many to come). :) I have yet to see The Mummy's Shroud, but based on everything I've read about it, I need to take a look for Ripper's performance alone!

      Delete
  10. I particularly remember Michael Ripper as Cushing's sidekick in Captain Clegg, and how he stood out in all his scenes, bringing depth to a seemingly small role. I always love looking out for those reappearing character actors who can change in each film yet always add something new and interesting. Your review makes me want to re-watch all those Hammer films to take note of Ripper again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! To me, Michael Ripper is sort of the UK's counterpart to Dick Miller: I'm always excited to see him pop up, and he always adds something special to whatever scene is in. I agree with you 100% about Ripper in Captain Clegg. What a brilliant performance.

      Delete
  11. Over the years, my appreciation for character actors has really grown. Sure, the leads are important, but a good character actor can make a film. Dick Miller and Michael Ripper are quintessential character actors, not just because they appeared in so many films, because they completely gave themselves to their roles no matter how small. It's nice to see Ripper get a little more recognition. Based on several of the comments, his name needs to get out there more. Enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! I couldn't agree more. His small roles made a big impact on me.

      Delete