We’re back! After last year’s blogathon, Gill Jacob (of Realweegiemidget Reviews) and I had so much fun, we decided to do a repeat. This year, we’re hoping to make this three-day-plus event bigger and better. Popular favorites are always welcome, but we’re encouraging everyone to take a deep dive into the Hammer and Amicus catalogs – the more obscure, the better. So, tell one, tell all, spread the word and read on for details:
What: The 2nd Great Hammer-Amicus Blogathon
Who: Hosted by Gill Jacob and Yours Truly (Barry P.)
Where: Realweegiemidget Reviews and Cinematic Catharsis
When: June 14th-16th, 2019
How: Please read the FAQs and rules below, and send me your post request (review, podcast, etc…) via email (email@example.com), Twitter (@barry_cinematic), or by commenting below. You may also contact Gill by commenting on her post, or through her blog’s Contact Me page. (Be sure to include a link to your blog, your blog’s title, and your preferred name).
Q: I’m not so sure about Hammer and Amicus. Don’t they just do horror? I’m not really into horror movies.
A: Not at all! Hammer and Amicus might be synonymous with horror now, but they produced films in many different genres. From the Hammer side alone, we’ve got: thrillers (Scream in Fear, Paranoiac) comedies (On the Buses, The Anniversary), sci-fi (Quatermass and the Pit, Four-Sided Triangle), adventure (She), film noir (Stolen Face, Heat Wave) and swashbucklers (The Pirates of Blood River).
Q: I don’t write reviews, but I have a podcast, V-log, etc. Would that work?
A: Of course!
Q: I’ve got this crazy idea, but I don’t know if you’ll go for it.
A: Try us. Drop us a line with your idea (the crazier the better). Not sure what to write about? In addition to reviews, we’d love to see posts about Hammer heroines, Amicus Anthologies, a retrospective of a group of works, director/actor profiles, etc…
Q: What if I miss the June 16th deadline?
A: Hey, we get it. You’re busy, we’re busy, and we’ve got you covered. One of the challenges of this blogathon is that Gill and I reside in vastly different time zones (I’m in the Western U.S. and Gill’s in Finland). As a result, what’s early for me is late for Gill, and vice-versa. What does this mean to you, dear bloggers? We’ll cut some extra slack and pass the savings on to you. We will have a wrap-up post on the 17th for any stragglers.
Q: I’m still not very familiar with the films of Hammer/Amicus. Do you have more examples?
A: Here are some examples from each respective production company:
Hammer: Horror of Dracula (1958), The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), The Abominable Snowman (1957), Cash on Demand (1961), The Vampire Lovers (1970), The Curse of the Werewolf (1961), The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959), The Devil Rides Out (1968), Scream of Fear (1961), Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966), and many more! See a complete list here.
Amicus: Tales from the Crypt (1972), Scream and Scream Again (1970), The Skull (1965), Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966), Torture Garden (1967), The House That Dripped Blood (1971), The People that Time Forgot (1977), and the list goes on… See a complete list here.
1. You may review ANY Hammer or Amicus film or TV show. Hammer and Amicus-related book reviews are fine.
2. Duplicate film titles are not permitted, UNLESS you are covering a series of films or a retrospective of an actor/filmmaker’s work. In order to mitigate any disappointment over missing out, please send us your FIRST and SECOND choices!
3. When responding with your choice, be sure to add your Twitter handle or a link to your Facebook page so we can promote your post.
4. A full list of blogs, podcasters and review choices will be posted on a separate page and updated regularly.
5. Only original, never-before-published posts will be accepted.
6. Send a link to your post/podcast/video to Gill and me during one of the days of the blogathon.
7. Note: we will be publishing all the links on both blogs, with daily updates on June 14th, 15th and 16th.
8. Please also note: Gill and I have already claimed the following the titles below. As a result, we will not accept any additional write-ups for these films (see Rule 2 above).
Barry at Cinematic Catharsis – Hammer: Moon Zero Two (1969); Amicus: The Land that Time Forgot (1975)
Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews –Amicus: From Beyond the Grave (1974?)
(Remember, you don't have to choose one post from Hammer and one from Amicus. Feel free to pick a side…or both!)
One more thing:
If you plan to participate, or just want to show your support, please grab one of the following banners to display on your blog:
We can’t wait to see your submissions. Be creative, and above all, have fun!