Saturday, March 21, 2015

Blog Update: Announcements and Miscellanea



2014 was a landmark year for Cinematic Catharsis. I continued to see an increase in visits (not all spam-related, I hope) to my humble little blog, stretched my horizons with new theme months (Monster March, David Lynch Month, etc…), dabbled in hosting my first blogathon, the Goldblumathon, watched my posts appear on other blogs, and even appeared on a podcast. If you’re a frequent visitor, however, you may have noticed things have slowed down a bit, lately. Several events in February and March, both bad (sick parent, death of a treasured family pet) and good (new puppy, move to a new home), have resulted in more than a few setbacks for my blog. But everything goes in waves, and I anticipate that things will pick up very soon.   

As I continue to define my blogging voice, one thing has remained constant – my commitment to an eclectic focus. I like the fact that I can’t be pinned down to one particular type of film, featuring a little bit of this, and a little bit of that: cult movies, genre favorites, along with some classics thrown in for good measure. Maintaining a balance of titles hasn’t always been easy. A quick analysis of my reviews revealed a large disparity in ratio of horror to sci-fi movies. You might notice more reviews of science fiction and fantasy films in the year ahead, but horror fans should fear not. I don’t want anyone to get the impression I’m abandoning the genre. I like horror too much, have met so many amazing horror-centric folks on Twitter, and will continue to make it a major emphasis in the months and years to come.

Here’s a preview of what I have in store for the months ahead:

·         April will be Hong Kong Month, featuring comedy, horror, kung fu, and more. I’ll be integrating the theme into my entry for the Great Villain Blogathon, hosted by Speakeasy, Shadows & Satin and Silver Screenings.


 ·         In May, I’m attending Fangoria’s Texas Frightmare Weekend, and look forward to reporting news from the horror scene, as well as my impressions about attending my first convention in 20 years (yes, I’m old). In addition, be sure to watch for my submission for the Shorts! blogathon, hosted by Movies Silently.

·         In June, I’ll be tackling an overlooked sequel to one of the biggest blockbusters of the ‘70s for the Beach Party Blogathon, hosted by Speakeasy and Silver Screenings.

·         Silent September will take a vacation this year, but should return in 2016. In its place, will be Sci-Fi September.

·         October, of course is Horror Month (what else?).

·         This November becomes Noir-vember – an attempt to patch the gaping hole in my film noir vocabulary.

·         Following the positive response to David Lynch month, December will highlight the works of a director to be named later.

So what’s going on in July and August? Well, that remains to be seen (hey, I make this stuff up as I go along). After the moderate success of the Godblumathon, I’m contemplating maybe, just maybe, hosting another blogathon this summer. I’m entertaining a few ideas, but if you’re interested in co-hosting, or have a theme to suggest, let me know in comments, Twitter, or via email.

Thanks to everyone who stops by on a regular or semi-regular basis, as well as those who recently stumbled on this blog. The positive feedback really makes me feel as if I’m doing something right. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome and encouraged. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment